Recipe by Sue Lau
A delectable soup with the flavors of the southwest. The roasted red pepper may seems daunting but it is a very simple and easy task and smells and tastes wonderful. All the flavors come together with the red pepper and the corn, and although this soup serves 8-10, you may find yourself serving less people when you are wanting more for yourself...
Top Review by Kate in Ontario
Excellent soup. The roasted sweet pepper adds a delicious smoked taste. I think next time I make it I may cut back somewhat on the broth and add an equal amount of spicy clamato juice or spicy vegetale cocktail to add lots of zip. Great recipe as is.
- 1 red sweet bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered and diced
- 1 (49 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen sweet corn
- 1⁄2 lime, juice of
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 corn tortillas, quartered and sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler and line baking pan with aluminum foil; broil red pepper on all sides until black and charred then place in a bowl under plastic wrap to cool and rest for 15 minutes.
- Remove charred skin from red pepper; discard core; chop pepper and set aside.
- In a deep pot heat oil and saute onion and garlic until onion is transparent; add zucchini and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add broth, chili powder, cumin, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chopped green chilies, Worcestershire sauce and roasted red pepper to the pot, bringing to a boil before lowering heat and covering pot.
- Simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, then add black beans, sweet corn, lime juice, cilantro, and tortilla strips and simmer 10 minutes more.
- Serve garnished with cheese and tortilla chips, if desired.