I make this every year with my surplus of plum tomatoes- you need to spend a few hours close to the stove, but it's worth it! Very handy to have in small amounts in the freezer.
- 7 lbs meaty tomatoes, such as plum
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 whole cloves
- 8 peppercorns
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Wash tomatoes and remove cores; coarsely chop- no need to peel.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine tomatoes with remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, about 25-30 minutes or until all ingredients are soft.
- Press through a foodmill (preferable) or sieve.
- Return to a clean heavy saucepan and cook over very low heat for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally, until very thick.
- May take a bit longer.
- Cool and pack into ice cube trays.
- Freeze and transfer to freezer bags.