1/1 Photo of Garden Tomato Paste
3 hrs 30 mins
Jan in Lanark's Note:
I make this every year with my surplus of plum tomatoes- you need to spend a few hours close to the stove, but it's worth it! Very handy to have in small amounts in the freezer.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 lbs meaty tomatoes, such as plum
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary or 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 whole cloves
- 8 peppercorns
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1Wash tomatoes and remove cores; coarsely chop- no need to peel.
- 2In a large heavy saucepan, combine tomatoes with remaining ingredients.
- 3Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, about 25-30 minutes or until all ingredients are soft.
- 4Press through a foodmill (preferable) or sieve.
- 5Return to a clean heavy saucepan and cook over very low heat for about 3 hours, stirring occasionally, until very thick.
- 6May take a bit longer.
- 7Cool and pack into ice cube trays.
- 8Freeze and transfer to freezer bags.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garden Tomato Paste
Serving Size: 1 (3554 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 176.3
- Calories from Fat 15
- Total Fat 1.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1233.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 24.1 g
- Protein 7.8 g