Recipe by Anissa
Zucchini, corn and tomatoes with a taco taste, yummy! This recipe is rather simple to make and tastes great too. I make this whenever zucchini is on sale!
Top Review by Dynila
This was a hit at my house, though heavily modified. I used pre-grilled zucchini leftover from a bbq and pre-cooked white rice leftover from Chinese night. Dropped the onion down to 1/4c but used onion slurry (all the taste, one of the texture) and 1 1/2Tb minced garlic and sauteed them before adding meat. I didn't drain meat, but did use extra (93%) lean beef. Once meat was cooked added 1/2c water and about 1/3 pkt of taco seasoning, the cooked rice, half a 14oz can of corn, 1/2 a 28ox can of petite diced tomatoes, and the zucchini, cut into small chunks, and let simmer for about 10min. The family loved it sprinkled with shredded cheddar with chips and homemade salsa on the side. DH also used it to make lettuce wraps for lunch the next day. For us, this is a keeper with a little something to make everyone happy.
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 package taco seasoning mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups uncooked instant rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (4 oz.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat with onion; drain.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except rice and cheese.
- Bring to a boil.
- Stir in rice, reduce heat to low, cover, simmer for 5 to 7 minutes or until all the liquid is absorded, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover and let stand 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.