Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a great summer recipe! Great served as a side when grilling steaks. I add extra cheese to the top of mine!
- 6 medium yellow squash
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash pepper
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Cover squash with water; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8-9 minutes or until squash is tender but still firm.
- Drain; cool slightly.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds, leaving a firm shell.
- Combine onion, tomato, green pepper, basil, salt and pepper on a bowl.
- Stir in cheese.
- Place squash shells in 13x9 baking dish.
- Spoon mixture into shells; dot with butter.
- Sprinkle with bacon.
- Bake, uncovered at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Optional- you can sprinkle more cheese on top and bake the last several minutes till melted.
I was making squash for the first time and decided to try this one. It came out good and I will definitaly do it again. I did make some chages though, based on what I had at home. <br/><br/>I omited the bacon, to make it vegetarian.<br/>I used canned diced tomatoes (about 3 tbsp),and added drained canned mushrooms because I didnt have fresh on hand. <br/><br/>Next time I make I will make sure I have fresh ingredients on hand. <br/><br/>I also bought small single size foil pans and broke it down into three servings, freezing 2 and cooking one for dinner tonigh.