Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful dish--it tastes great and makes a nice presentation.
- 6 medium yellow squash
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped tomato
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Wash the squash thoroughly; cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 8 to 9 minutes, or until squash is tender but still firm; drain and cool slightly.
- Cut squash in half lengthwise. Remove and discard seeds, leaving a firm shell.
- Combine onion, tomato, green pepper, basil, salt, and pepper in a bowl; stir in cheese.
- Place squash shell in a 13x9-inch baking dish; spoon vegetable mixture into shells. Dot with butter and sprinkle with bacon.
- Bake uncovered at 400°F for 20 minutes.