Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a quick side dish that looks nice on the plate. Goes great with BBQ steak.
- 4 russet potatoes
- 29.58 ml butter or 29.58 ml margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 283.49 g package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 118.29 ml ranch salad dressing
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 9.85 ml dried parsley (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Microwave pierced potatoes on high for about 12 minutes, bake for 5 minutes.
- Slice off potato tops, scoop out pulp, keeping skins intact.
- Mash pulp in a medium bowl.
- Heat in a small skillet over medium heat; add butter.
- Add onion and saute until tender.
- Add broccoli, and salad dressing to potato pulp and mix well.
- Brush outside of potato skins with vegetable oil.
- Spoon potato mixture into shells.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
I really liked the ranch "zing" in these! I used steamed fresh brocccoli as that's what I had, and fat free ranch dressing. The potato mixture was yummy all by itself, and even better paired with the crispy potato skin. I froze the rest for the game and liked the thawed version as well. it was a little bit grainier, like potatoes sometimes get when frozen. I suspect that it would be less grainy if you used full-fat ranch dressing, as it was greatly improved by the addition of a teaspoon of butter stirred through the potatoes after heating. To freeze, I prepared to step 9 then wrapped tightly in aluminum foil to freeze. To serve from frozen: baked in a 350 degree overn for about 30-40 minutes. (You may also be able to reheat in a microwave although I haven't tried that yet.) Made for Freezer Tag March 2008
One word...YUM! I did add a small handful of cheese and a touch of milk. We will be making these again. Thank you!
I tried this recipe for supper tonight because it was a bit different with the ranch dressing ingredient. But I was out of ranch so I used bleu cheese and it was great. Next time I'll use ranch, I know it will taste just as great. Thanks Moirianne, I never would have thought to use a salad dressing in my baked potatoe.