Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a sweet mix of summer vegetables and chicken. We have a bumper crop of zucchini on the way and for the first dish of the year I had to try something different. I used some shelled peas and some edible pod peas. We topped this with soy-sauce and had a side of raw radishes for salad. It was very satisfactory. This could easily be made vegetarian if you substituted tofu and mushrooms for the chicken.
- 2 cups peas
- 3 cups zucchini
- 3 cups cooked chicken
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic clove
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups water
- In a 2 quart pot mix rice and water, bring to boil, cover and reduce heat to low. (This should take about 20 minutes or so to cook until sticky; take off of heat and set aside (covered) until ready to eat).
- While rice is cooking, cut 1/3 of zucchini off from top and slice into 1/4" rounds with skin on, peel the rest of the zucchini leaving 4 strips of skin evenly spaced down sides (be careful not to peel too deeply, some green is desirable).
- Cut this piece into 4 long pieces each with a stripe in the middle and then cut each into 1/4" chunks, each with a spot of skin. This looks nice and holds the fruit together when cooked.
- In a large skillet, melt butter and add garlic and when it browns a little add oil.
- Stir and add zucchini and salt and pan fry for 3 minute.
- Add peas, lemon pepper and wine; stir and cover for 3 minute.
- Add chicken and cover again, stirring occasionally until all is hot and ready to eat.
- Place a ball of sticky rice in middle of plate and spoon Garden Special over top or around it to present.