Recipe by Shar-on
A friend of mine gave me this recipe and I have changed it some to my liking. I make a batch of it and freeze it in serving size containers.
Top Review by packeyes
This was an alright sauce. It needs some doctoring up. It came out way too sweet for my liking. I cut back the vinegar to 1 1/2 cups per the other reviews suggestion. If I make this again I will cut back the sugar. With some ground beef and mushrooms this is good. If you like sweet sauces then this is the one for you.
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 3 lbs ripe tomatoes, peeled and cut up
- 4 large onions, chopped
- 1 (13 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 -4 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 medium green peppers, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onions, celery and green peppers.
- Mix tog the vinegar, sugar and tomato paste, add all the spices to this mix.
- Add this mixture with the tomatoes to sauted vegetables and stir to mix.
- Simmer for about 30 minutes or until mixture is thick, stirring to keep from burning.
- Cool slightly.
- Add about 2 cups at a time into a blender to puree to make a smooth sauce.
- Now it is ready to serve or freeze in serving size portions.