Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great meal that you can literally cook in about 20 minutes and it's absolutely fabulous! The ingredients are all subjective and can be varied to whatever you have in the fridge! Another note, we like the whole garlic and if you cook it well, it isn't overwhelming at all but do it however you like it!
- 8 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
- 8 -10 roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup of hand torn fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic or 8 garlic cloves
- 1 bell pepper, chopped fairly large
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts (optional)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- balsamic vinegar
- Prepare spaghetti according to package directions.
- Sauté whole garlic cloves for 5-7 minutes over medium heat. (start these when you put the spaghetti in the boiling water.).
- If you use the minced garlic, add it after you toast the pine nuts.
- While the garlic is cooking and the spaghetti is boiling, cut the bell pepper and tomatoes up.
- When garlic is soft and spaghetti is almost done, add the bell pepper to the garlic and sauté about one minute. You don't really want to cook it, just heat it up a little bit.
- After a minute, add the pine nuts and sauté them for about one minute, until fragrant (if using minced garlic, add now).
- When pine nuts are done, remove from pan heat, add the tomatoes and basil and cover then drain the spaghetti.
- Drizzle noodles with olive oil to add a little bit of flavor and keep it from sticking then add the garlic mixture to the noodles.
- Toss together and add balsamic to taste!