Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A fine late summer soup. This is very hearty and best if made with fresh raw limas. You will have to take them out of the pod (don't eat the pods unless you want really horrid gas later) but there is no need to soak them. Any other garden additions or meat would work just as well. Even my kids will eat this, which says a lot.
- 1 lb chicken
- 1 cup celery, diced very small
- 1 cup onion, diced very small
- 1 cup green pepper, diced very small
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups new potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup lima beans (fresh are best)
- 1 cup raw green beans, in 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 -5 cups chicken broth
- bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- Dice chicken into spoon sized pieces.
- Melt a little of the butter in a large enameled pot.
- Season chicken and brown in pan over medium heat until golden.
- Remove chicken to a bowl and add onion, celery, pepper, butter and a splash of broth to pot.
- Scrape the bottom of the pot to get up the brownings from the chicken.
- Sweat the veggies until golden and very soft, the broth will evaporate completely.
- Add the rest of the veggies and return chicken to the pot.
- Dilute the tomato paste with some broth and pour into the pot.
- Add seasonings and enough broth to just cover veggies and chicken.
- Bring to a boil and turn heat down.
- Simmer until potatoes and beans are fork tender.