1 hr 20 mins
A fine late summer soup. This is very hearty and best if made with fresh raw limas. You will have to take them out of the pod (don't eat the pods unless you want really horrid gas later) but there is no need to soak them. Any other garden additions or meat would work just as well. Even my kids will eat this, which says a lot.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb chicken
- 1 cup celery, diced very small
- 1 cup onion, diced very small
- 1 cup green pepper, diced very small
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups new potatoes, quartered
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup lima beans (fresh are best)
- 1 cup raw green beans, in 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 -5 cups chicken broth
- bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1Dice chicken into spoon sized pieces.
- 2Melt a little of the butter in a large enameled pot.
- 3Season chicken and brown in pan over medium heat until golden.
- 4Remove chicken to a bowl and add onion, celery, pepper, butter and a splash of broth to pot.
- 5Scrape the bottom of the pot to get up the brownings from the chicken.
- 6Sweat the veggies until golden and very soft, the broth will evaporate completely.
- 7Add the rest of the veggies and return chicken to the pot.
- 8Dilute the tomato paste with some broth and pour into the pot.
- 9Add seasonings and enough broth to just cover veggies and chicken.
- 10Bring to a boil and turn heat down.
- 11Simmer until potatoes and beans are fork tender.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garden Soup With Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (233 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.9
- Calories from Fat 65
- Total Fat 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 26.8 mg
- Sodium 455.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 9.6 g