Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is a great soup when the tomatoes are at their peak. It's originally from the food section of the Houston Chronicle. It freezes well without the pasta. Just defrost, add the pasta, and simmer about 10 minutes until the pasta is done. Also feel free to add other goodies from your garden, like diced zucchini. Recipe doubles well.
- 1⁄2 lb tender boneless beef steak
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce, divided (can use light)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh Italian plum tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch lengths
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked macaroni (I like to use ditalini or small shells)
- 1 (8 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut beef into 1/2 inch cubes.
- Combine 1 tablespoon soy sauce, cornstarch, and garlic in a small bowl; stir in beef.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy pot.
- Add beef and stir-fry 1 minute; remove.
- Stir remaining soy sauce, tomatoes,oregano, sugar, and 2 cups water into the same pan.
- Simmer, covered. 15-20 minutes.
- Add green beans; simmer, covered, 10 minutes.
- Stir in macaroni and simmer, covered, 10 minutes longer, or until macaroni is tender yet firm.
- Add beef and kidney beans; cook and stir just until beans are heated through.
- Serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, if desired.