Great little starters for your next barbeque bash! For a no cook starter, serve the squash fresh instead of grilled. Adapted from BH&G magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained (or cannellini beans)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 medium summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (or use zucchini if you like)
- 24 slices French bread (1/4-inch)
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, cut in 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 small cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 small celery tops, sprigs small tomato wedges, and (or basil or other herb) (optional) or 1 small pickle, slices (optional)
- 1For bean spread, in food processor(or blender) combine beans, 1 tablespoon of the oil, the garlic, and Italian seasoning. Cover; process until smooth. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- 2To grill squash, toss squash slices with remaining tablespoon olive oil. Place in a grill basket. Place basket directly over medium coals for about 5 minutes or just until squash is tender, turning once. (or use your grill pan on the stovetop!). I like to grill the tomatoes and the bread for just a minute or two also.
- 3Spread one side of each bread slice with bean spread. Top half of the bread with tomato, squash, and cucumber slices. Top with remaining bread slices, spread side down. Secure sandwiches with wooden picks. Top with celery sprigs, tomato wedges, and/or pickle slices. Enjoy!
- 4To make ahead:.
- 5Make the bean spread up to 2 days ahead; refrigerate, covered. Slice vegetables up to 24 hours ahead. Assemble sliders 2 hours ahead.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garden Sliders!
Serving Size: 1 (210 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 412.2
- Calories from Fat 56
- Total Fat 6.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 781.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 14.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: