Recipe by Sharon123
Great little starters for your next barbeque bash! For a no cook starter, serve the squash fresh instead of grilled. Adapted from BH&G magazine.
- 1 (15 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed and drained (or cannellini beans)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (about 1 tsp.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon italian seasoning, crushed
- 1 medium summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (or use zucchini if you like)
- 24 slices French bread (1/4-inch)
- 2 medium roma tomatoes, cut in 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 small cucumber, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 small celery tops, sprigs small tomato wedges, and (or basil or other herb) (optional) or 1 small pickle, slices (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For bean spread, in food processor(or blender) combine beans, 1 tablespoon of the oil, the garlic, and Italian seasoning. Cover; process until smooth. Season with salt and ground black pepper.
- To grill squash, toss squash slices with remaining tablespoon olive oil. Place in a grill basket. Place basket directly over medium coals for about 5 minutes or just until squash is tender, turning once. (or use your grill pan on the stovetop!). I like to grill the tomatoes and the bread for just a minute or two also.
- Spread one side of each bread slice with bean spread. Top half of the bread with tomato, squash, and cucumber slices. Top with remaining bread slices, spread side down. Secure sandwiches with wooden picks. Top with celery sprigs, tomato wedges, and/or pickle slices. Enjoy!
- To make ahead:.
- Make the bean spread up to 2 days ahead; refrigerate, covered. Slice vegetables up to 24 hours ahead. Assemble sliders 2 hours ahead.