Recipe by Hannah Verrinder
At a certain point in the summer, all of our farmer's market purchases threaten to overwhelm our refrigerator. This usually coincides with the point in the summer during which it is too hot to live. I made this huge salad and have kept it in the fridge, feasting for days. I suggest a cilantro dressing, but the salad is compatible with a wide variety of flavors.
- 1⁄2 head jicama, peeled
- 3 carrots, peeled
- 1⁄2 head cabbage
- 1⁄2 large red onions or 1 medium red onion
- 2 bell peppers
- 2 hearts romaine lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- Thoroughly wash all vegetables.
- Behead the carrots and shred, using the food processor attachment for grating or a cheese grater.
- Cut jicama into sections and shred, using the food processor or a cheese grater and an infinite amount of patience.
- Cut cabbage into sections and shred.
- Thinly slice the onion.
- Julienne the bell peppers.
- Cut the romaine hearts in half lengthwise and cut into ribbons, discarding hard white base.
- Toss together all ingredients in a large bowl and dress according to taste.