Recipe by *Pixie*
A lighter, lower fat version of quesadillas. Makes a nice lunch, supper or can be used as an appetizer. Please feel free to adjust the spices to match your own tastes...
Top Review by MarraMamba
These were delicious, and I don't even like vegetables. Was out of mushrooms so used zucchini. The spices made a huge difference and as much as i dislike low fat cream cheese "raw" its perfectly fine when heated with spices. Thanks so much for posting this, i needed a low fat quick lunch, was starving.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 onion, cut into thin 1 inch long strips
- 1 green pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 jalapeno pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup fat free cream cheese
- 6 whole wheat tortillas (6" or 7")
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Heat 1 tsp olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan.
- Saute the garlic until sizzling, then add the onion and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the red and green peppers, mushrooms, jalapeno pepper.
- Cook until the veggies are tender but not overcooked.
- Approx 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the black pepper, cumin, chili powder and cilantro until well blended.
- Spread 1/2 of one side of each tortilla with cream cheese.
- Top the cream cheese evenly with the cooked veggies staying about 1/2" away from the edge.
- Sprinkle the veggies evenly with the green onions and diced tomato.
- Fold the tortilla in half over the veggies, press gently around the edges to seal shut.
- Place tortillas on a non-stick baking pan and bake for 5 minutes or until tortillas are desired level of crispiness.
- Cut into wedges if serving as an appetizer.
- If desired serve with salsa and/or fat-free sour cream.