Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
The name says it all! I've never made this but when I shared it in a recipe newsgroup, I got a lot of good feedback on it.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot
- 1 cup finely shredded zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup finely shredded beet
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- In large bowl, beat oil, eggs, sugar and vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to egg mixture and mix well.
- Stir in vegetables.
- Add chocolate chips and mix well.
- Pour into a greased and floured 13x9-inch baking pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 35-40 minutes or test done.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in powdered sugar until smooth.
- Spread over cooled cake.
- Store in the refrigerator.
Lovely way to get your veggies! Like a carrot cake, but with more color from beets and zucchini. Delightful!
DH made this recipe into cupcakes. FANTASTIC! The little pieces of zucchini and beets through the cake look like non-pariels.
Thank you Marg & I hope you have tried it yourself now :-)
Delicious! I made this recipe as written except that I used my own home-milled wholewheat flour. I love the bright red fragments throughout the cake, courtesy of the beets.