Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan. Not vegetarian, but plenty of veggies keep it moist.Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 vegetable, 1 starch.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs 95% lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup grated carrot
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable juice cocktail (like V8)
- 6 tablespoons liquid egg substitute
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley, finely crumbled (or use 2 tbsp. minced fresh)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or marjoram)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place all ingredients (except ketchup) in a large bowl and mix well. Coat a 9 X 5 loaf pan with cooking spray and press the mixture into the pan to form a loaf.
- Bake uncovered for 45 minutes, then spread the ketchup over the top and bake for 30 more minutes, or until a meat thermometer registers 160 degrees in the center.
- Remove the loaf from the oven and let it rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.