Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
The title says it all. Enjoy!!
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups packed coleslaw mix
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (round) or 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1⁄2 lb ground lean pork
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- 1 cup canned stewed tomatoes or 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon celery salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil shallow 12 x 8-inch baking pan.
- Place large nonstick skillet over high heat.
- Add the 1 teaspoon vegetable oil; swirl to coat.
- Add coleslaw mix; brown well without stirring, about 3 minutes.
- Cook, stirring, 2 minutes longer, adding 2 tablespoons water after 1 minute.
- Let cool slightly.
- Crumble beef and pork into large bowl.
- Add browned vegetables, egg whites, bread crumbs, tomatoes, celery salt and pepper. Shape into loaf in bowl; place in prepared pan.
- Reshape into 10 x 5-inch loaf.
- Bake for 1 hour or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- Drain off drippings; reserve for gravy.
- Let meat loaf stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons flour; cook 1 minute (mixture will be dry).
- Stir in 1/4 teaspoon each thyme and celery salt.
- Stir in 1 3/4 cups chicken broth and any degreased drippings reserved from Garden Meat Loaf.
- Cook, stirring, until slightly thickened and simmering.
- Stir together 1/4 cup dry white wine and 1 tablespoon cornstarch in cup until smooth. Add to gravy with 2 teaspoons soy sauce; stir until thickened and simmering. Serve hot.
- Makes 2 cups.