Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Got this from BHG April issue. I'm going to make this one for a family reunion we're having soon.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon dried lavender flowers
- 4 eggs, at room temp
- 1 cup butter, at room temp
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream, at room temp
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, finely shredded
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 -4 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven 325, grease and flour 2- 8 in loaf pans.
- Prepare lavender sugar mixture,in a spice grinder or food processor, grind 1/2 c sugar with 1-2 Tbsp dried lavender blossoms, Set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together the lavender sugar, butter, sugar and vanilla with mixer on high speed until mixture is light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, be sure to scrape the sides of the bowl frequently.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating 30 seconds after each one.
- Alternately add flour mixture and sour cream to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each sddition until just combined.
- (Batter will be thick) Stir in lemon peel.
- Spread into prepared pans.
- Bake 45 min or until pick comes out clean.
- Cool on rack 10 min, remove from pans and cool completely.
- In a small bowl mix powdered sugar with 1 Tbsp melted butter and enough lemon juice to get glaze to drizzling consistency.
- Spoon over cake, letting some drip down.
- sides of cake.
My husband loved it and he's not a big fan of sweets. I used the maximum on the lavender and substituted yogurt and a little cornstarch for the sour cream.
Very fragrant and pleasant! The aroma of the Lavender when I was grinding it with the sugar is sooo incredible! I used one tablespoonful. Used orange zest instead of lemon. Didn't glaze it.