Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Adapted from a recipe off the internet, this smells so good baking! Enjoy!
Make and share this Garden Herb Braid recipe from Food.com.
- 4 -4 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 (1/4 ounce) packages fast rise yeast
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon parsley flakes
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 3⁄4 teaspoon crushed sage
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed sage
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast, salt and herbs. In a saucepan, heat the milk, water and butter to 120*-130*F. Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Add egg; beat until smooth. Stir in just enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 4-6 minutes. Cover and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Divide dough into thirds. Shape each portion into a 15 inch rope. Place ropes on greased baking sheet and braid; pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover; let rise until doubled, about 20 minutes.
- Bake at 375*F. for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Combine herbs; sprinkle over bread. Then remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- Yield: 1 loaf (16 slices).
This is so good and SO EASY! I am a novice in the kitchen and I made this bread with no trouble! It was braided perfectly and I was so shocked that I made something that looked that good! Haha! Definately going to be using this again!!!
I did the bread in the bread machine and then I braided it... I used 1/2 tsp of each herb like someone suggested. I didn't use sage cause I didn't find it. I used only 4 cups of flour. After 20 minutes of cooking, the bread was ready and with a beautiful golden color. Thanks Sharon. Made for Zaar Star Game.
This is a wonderful bread! I prepared all of it in our Kitchenaid and it came out beautifully! While I was making the dough I couldn't figure out why I didn't need to add more than 3 1/2 cups of flour. While it was baking, I finally realized that I forgot to add the egg! (DOH!) It still came out great! This bread goes absolutely wonderful with spaghetti. Thanks for sharing. ~Buddha