Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
From The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan. I do love vegetable soups! This one is creamy and thickened from the partially pureed beans and potato.You could also throw in a small piece of Parmesan rind, but remove it before blending. This is easily made vegan by using vegetable stock and omitting the cheese. Exchanges per serving: 1 very lean meat, 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 cup peeled and diced yukon gold potato (about 1 medium-large)
- 1 medium carrot, peeled (or scrubbed)
- 2 -3 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken (or homemade stock) or 2 cups vegetable broth (or homemade stock)
- 1 1⁄2 cups moderately packed chopped fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley (or 1 tsp. dried)
- Put the oil in a 2-qt. pot and add the onions. Place trhe pot over medium heat, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for several minutes, until the onions soften.
- Add the garbanzos, potato, carrot, bay, and broth to the pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes until vegetables are soft.Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Remove 3/4 to 1 cup of the soup to a blender and process until smooth. Add the blended mixture back to the pot and then add the spinach and parsley. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes to wilt spinach. Serve hot, with Parmesan cheese, if desired.