Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love this recipe! You can do all kinds of things with it by using your favorite fresh veggies from the garden. I am always asked for the recipe when I take it to potlucks. A friend of mine shared it with me so I don't know how she got it but I am glad she did!
- Saute almonds with bacon in large skillet.
- When almonds are lighly roasted and bacon is crisp, remove from skillet with slotted spoon.
- Add zucchine, eggplant and onion to the skillet with dripping from the bacon; cover and cook over medium-low heat for 15 minutes, stirring often.
- Mix in flour.
- Add tomatoes;stir in garlic, salt, pepper, and basil.
- Layer vegetable mixture, almonds and bacon mixture, then Swiss cheese slices, making 2 layers of each, into a 2 quart baking dish ending with a ring of almonds and bacon in a ring on top.
- Bake, uncovered in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until bubbly throughout.
This recipe was very good, with a few changes to suite our tastes. on step 3 I peeled eggplant, sliced and saute 10 mins. in bacon drippings first and set aside. then preceded on with step but only cooking the rest of veggies. for 10 mins. I also increased pepper(black) to 1/2 teaspoon and basil increased to 2 teaspoons. when layering vegetables I started first with a layer of eggplant and then half of veggie mix then half of bacon and almonds then half of cheese then repeated. I will make again, We enjoyed it, Thanks
The casserole was easy to make but it was just lacking something. I made as posted except I left off the almonds. It just wasn't as flavorful as I thought it would be. I do think that it could be doctored up and almost any vegetables could be used. I will try it again and change it a little.