Prep 20 mins
Cook 26 mins
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 red onion, medium,chopped
- 1 lb fresh asparagus (about 24 stalks)
- 1⁄2 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill (, or 2 tsp dried dill)
- 4 finely chopped green onions
- salt and pepper
- Trim tough ends of asparagus.
- Bring a pan of salted water to boil and cook asparagus for 1 minute.
- Drain immediately and rinse in cold water; set aside.
- In a med.
- sized non-stick frying pan, sauté red onion in oil over medium heat until soft, about 5 minutes; remove from heat.
- In a bowl, combine the cheese mixture ingredients.
- On a slightly floured surface, roll out the defrosted pastry into a 9" x 12" rectangle.
- Place the pastry on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, score a straight line around all 4 sides of the pastry to create a 1" border.
- The filling of the tart will be placed inside the border leaving a 1" wide border of pastry to frame the tart.
- Pierce the pastry inside the border all over with a fork.
- Do not pierce the border.
- Place all ingredients inside the border, beginning by evenly spreading the onions over the pierced crust, then sprinkling 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture over the onions, then top with the asparagus placed in a single row and finish by sprinkling the cheese mixture evenly over the asparagus.
- Preheat oven to 450°F, and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until puffed and golden brown.
- Serve immediately.