Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a wrap within a wrap. Cottage cheese is mixed with fresh vegetables and herbs for zest and vigor, then placed inside a crisp lettuce leaf before being wrapped in a tortilla. For a change, you could add a little feta cheese. Adapted from Wraps cookbook.
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper, seeds and ribs discarded (or use yellow bell peppers)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 cup chopped tomato, seeds discarded
- 2 -3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons green onions, green part only, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, grated (or 2-3 drops lemon oil)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon onion salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 cup large curd cottage cheese
- 2 large butter lettuce leaves (or other leaf lettuce)
- 2 flour tortillas (10-inch-11-inch)
- Place cottage cheese in a sieve and press to remove some of the moisture.
- Mix the bell pepper, carrot, tomato, lemon juice, green onion, basil, lemon zest, and onion salt in a medium bowl. Add black pepper to taste. Gently fold cottage cheese into the vegetable mixture.
- Place a lettuce leaf on each tortilla.
- Divide the cottage cheese mixture among the lettuce leaf lined tortillas and wrap.
- Enjoy immediately!
- How to wrap:.
- If tortilla is stiff, warm slightly(about 15 seconds) to make more flexible. Fold the right and left edges of the tortilla over the filling, toward the center. Fold the bottom edge of the tortilla toward the center and gently roll until the tortilla is completely wrapped around the filling.
This is sooo good! I love everything in this recipe! I am on a weight crusade, so I made a few changes, but nothing to deter from the recipe. I also used a whole wheat tortilla, and used light cottage cheese, so shave off some calories and fat. This is a perfect thing for me to have and it goes well with my diet. Thanks so much Sharon, this is a winner for sure! Made for KK's forum event for Sharon.
I'm sorry to say that this one was not for my tastes. I also took the moisture out of the cottage cheese, as much as I possibly could, and used only 2 tbsp lemon juice, but it was way to liquidy and made the wrap extremely soggy. I'm glad that I reduced the lemon juice amount because it was too lemony for my taste as well. Thanks for posting Sharon!
Made this with a yellow bell, the red tomato, shredded carrot & fresh green chives for a very colorful & tasty wrap! Also pressed some of the moisture out of the cottage cheese (tip from Jujubegirl's review) & we were very, very happy with the results! Naturally I'll be keeping this recipe around! [Made & reviewed for one of my groupmates in the Aus/NZ Recipe Swap #42]