Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a really lovely springtime meal. I prefer to use rosemary on its own rather than herbes de provence. This is lovely with rice, but I prefer it with Couscous.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 onions
- 2 courgettes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (400 g) can chopped tomatoes
- salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- basil leaves (to garnish) (optional)
- Rub the chicken breasts with the herbs.
- Peel and finely chop garlic and onions.
- Chop the courgettes, cut the peppers in half and remove seeds and white pith.
- Cut into wide strips.
- Heat 2 tbsps oil in a large pan, and fry the chicken for 8 minutes.
- Turn and fry for another 5 mins.
- Remove from pan and keep warm Add remaining oil, onions, garlic, peppers and courgette to the pan.
- Cook until vegetables soften.
- Add tomatoes with the juice, and season.
- Cover nad simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the freshly chopped parsley and put teh chicken on top.
- Cover nad simmer for 10 minutes, garnish with Basil and serve.
This was a fabulous combination of flavours. I had diced chicken on hand so used that instead of the breasts. I cooked mine as stated, and just stirred the chicken through at the end. Delicious easy meal, and one I will definitely be making again.
What's not to enjoy with a beutiful combination of peppers, tomatoes and zucchini? I didn't have any green peppers and replaced it with three good sized white mushrooms sliced up. Also made this a tad healthier by reducing the oil used to 1 tablespoon. Thought the flavors were good the sauce was quite soupy. I cooked a bit more but then the veggies were getting a bit overdone. Finally ended up taking everything but the liquid out and letting it reduce some. Paula's suggestion of adding the zucchini is a good one and I wish I'd done that. Despite these small issues, the dish is really good and a great go to recipe when you want to put a beutiful and healthy meal on the table. Thanks.
This had a nice flavor and packed full of good veggies. I sliced the vegetables instead of chopping, just personal preference. Also, after cooking the chicken, I deglazed the pan with 1/2 cup apple juice and then added the onions, garlic, and peppers and drizzled lightly with olive oil. I choose not to add the squash until the last 10 minutes.