Recipe by weekend cooker
This colorful, delicious casserole is not only flavor packed, but it is also a sight to behold. You can't beat this boutiful dish for family or company.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
I made this exactly as directed. I had to use sweet red pepper pesto since I was out of normal basil pesto, but actually, I think it was a good choice, really complemented the dish. DD2 came in with a half packet of sliced mushrooms from her flat, and I thought, ok, add them in! This made lots, which meant leftovers for DHs lunch today, he says it was even better, the flavours had really had a chance to develop. I forgot to cover the dish while it was baking, but that didnt turn out to be a problem, it was perfectly moist and creamy. very good all-in-one dish, thank you Weekend Cooker! This was made for made for Make My Recipe tag game, Australian forum.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 small yellow squash, julienned
- 1 small zucchini, julienned
- 1 red sweet bell pepper, julienned
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
- 2 teaspoons pesto sauce mix
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 (8 ounce) package angel hair pasta, cooked al dente, drained
- 1⁄3 cup shredded parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium heat, saute chicken and garlic in butter for 15 minutes. Remove chicken and set aside.
- With butter in skillet, saute squash, zucchini, and sweet bell pepper and cook just until tender crisp.
- In a small saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons butter and add flour, seasoned salt, salt, black pepper, and pesto seasoning. Stir to form a paste.
- Over medium high heat, gradually add broth, stirring constantly, until thick.
- Stir in cream and heat thoroughly.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken vegetables, broth-cream mixture, and drained pasta.
- Transfer to a greased 9x13 inch casserole dish.
- Cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and sprinkle parmesan cheese over top of casserole and return to oven for 5 minutes.