Recipe by cookielookie123
This is a full bodied bread, freezes well and is delicious with the spread here or any type of seasoned butter. I wrapped mini loaves in holiday saran and put the spread into decorated baby food jars for Christmas gifts one year. Everyone loved them and asked for the recipe.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely chopped sun-dried tomato packed in oil, reserve 2 t oil (I dehydrated fresh tomatoes from the garden and used extra virgin olive oil)
Ricotta and Olive Spread
- 1 cup fresh ricotta, drained
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped kalamata olives or 3 tablespoons plain black olives
- 6 ounces Baby Spinach, rinsed and spun dry,stems removed
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Bread: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly grease 2-4x8" loaf pans and set aside.
- Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, sugar, and oil.
- Add to the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Whisk in the tomatoes, onions, basil, parsley, oregano, and garlic.
- Add the cheese and stir to combine.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- For the Spread: In the bowl of a food processor, blend the ricotta, cream cheese, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper on high speed until smooth.
- Add the olives and spinach leaves, pulse to blend.
- Adjust seasoning, to taste.
- Spread on freshly sliced bread or grill slices and top with spread.