This is a full bodied bread, freezes well and is delicious with the spread here or any type of seasoned butter. I wrapped mini loaves in holiday saran and put the spread into decorated baby food jars for Christmas gifts one year. Everyone loved them and asked for the recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped sun-dried tomato packed in oil, reserve 2 t oil (I dehydrated fresh tomatoes from the garden and used extra virgin olive oil)
Ricotta and Olive Spread
- 1 cup fresh ricotta, drained
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons chopped kalamata olives or 3 tablespoons plain black olives
- 6 ounces Baby Spinach, rinsed and spun dry,stems removed
- 1For the Bread: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Lightly grease 2-4x8" loaf pans and set aside.
- 3Into a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- 4In a small bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, sugar, and oil.
- 5Add to the dry ingredients and whisk to combine.
- 6Whisk in the tomatoes, onions, basil, parsley, oregano, and garlic.
- 7Add the cheese and stir to combine.
- 8Pour into the prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- 9For the Spread: In the bowl of a food processor, blend the ricotta, cream cheese, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper on high speed until smooth.
- 10Add the olives and spinach leaves, pulse to blend.
- 11Adjust seasoning, to taste.
- 12Spread on freshly sliced bread or grill slices and top with spread.
Browse Our Top Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garden Bread With Ricotta-olive Spread
Serving Size: 1 (1339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1166.5
- Calories from Fat 442
- Total Fat 49.2 g
- Saturated Fat 21.2 g
- Cholesterol 311.5 mg
- Sodium 3425.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 142.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.0 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 52.6 g