Recipe by Amis
A wonderful ice cream. It has a light, delicate flavor. I served this at my daughters naming ceremony. Note: this is best prepared a day ahead as it must chill for several hours. I got this out of an English cookbook a long time ago. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 6 ounces apple juice concentrate, thawed (3/4 c)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon rose water
- 3 -4 drops red food coloring (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix egg yolks, sugar, milk and salt in saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, just until bubbles appear around edge.
- Pour into chilled bowl; cover and refrigerate until room temperature (1 to 2 hours).
- Stir remaining ingredients into milk mixture.
- Pour into freezer can; put dasher in place. Cover and adjust crank.
- Place can in freezer tub.
- Fill freezer tub 1/3 full of ice; add remaining ice alternately with layers of rock salt (6 parts ice to 1 part rock salt).
- Turn crank until it turns with difficulty. Drain water from freezer tub.
- Remove lid; remove dasher.
- Pack mixture down; replace lid.
- Repack in ice and salt.
- Let stand several hours to ripen.
- Yields 8 servings.