Recipe by aymeahrens
A quick and easy weeknight recipe from a dear Puerto Rican friend. This recipe makes a delicious chunky sauce/stew for white rice. Cube the remaining squash and chop the ham; divide into recipe portions and freeze for later!
- 1 1⁄2 cups peeled cubed butternut squash
- 2⁄3 cup chopped ham steak
- 1 tablespoon sofrito sauce
- 1 (5 g) packet sazon goya con culantro y achiote
- 1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1⁄2 cup sliced stuffed green olive (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, gently brown ham steak.
- Add sofrito, Sazon, and boullion cube, stir.
- Add undrained garbanzo beans plus one can water. Bring mixture to a gentle boil.
- Add butternut squash and simmer, uncovered, until squash is tender. As the squash cooks the sauce will thicken some.
- Serve over hot white rice with slices of avocado.