Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I love store bought veggie burgers, so I decided to experiment on my own. I don't like the patties to actually taste like meat so my recipe doesn't and I wanted veggie patties with less calories. It actually tastes more like grains and its healthy too! I make these on a regular basis and eat a patty with toasted whole wheat bread and non-fat mayo.
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1⁄2 cup of uncooked pearl barley
- 1⁄2 cup of uncooked brown rice
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 medium carrots (finely shredded)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons onion powder or 3 tablespoons onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin powder
- Wash the barley and rice and drain.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of water to the grains and let it soak for 1 hour.
- Then cook the grains until done.
- In a blender, puree the can of beans.
- When done, put into a large bowl with the garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, paprika, and cumin powder and mix well.
- Add the shredded carrots to the bean mix.
- When the grains are done cooking, put them into the blender in 1 cup batches (don't dump all the rice in at once because it becomes gummy) and blend until it forms sort of a sticky ball.
- Do this until all the grains are used up.
- Add the sticky rice mix to the garbanzo bean mix and blend well (I just used my hands).
- Add an egg to the mix now and stir.
- Now form the mixture into 10 balls and flatten them like burger patties.
- Put onto a lightly greased baking pan and broil about 5 inches from heat for 5 minutes per side.