Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a Syrian favorite complete with all it's flavors, textures, and colors. Recipe is from my Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy International Recipes cookbook.
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 black olives, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mint
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon peel, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large bowl, combine beans, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, and olives. Sprinkle with parsley and mint. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, mixing until blended. Pour over vegetables, mixing well.
- Cover and chill several hours or overnight. Stir before serving.