Recipe by DailyInspiration
This is a Syrian favorite complete with all it's flavors, textures, and colors. Recipe is from my Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy International Recipes cookbook.
Top Review by Annacia
I do believe that I have a brand new favorite. I made this yesterday as a lunch dish and it was hard to stop with my allotted portion! I just kept on wanting "just one more bite". Fortunately, it's nicely diabetic friendly and that makes the wonderful flavors, mouth feel and satisfaction all the more appealing. Thank you, my friend, for this marvelous keeper recipe.
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄3 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 black olives, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mint
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon peel, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, combine beans, tomato, cucumber, bell pepper, onion, and olives. Sprinkle with parsley and mint. Mix well.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ingredients, mixing until blended. Pour over vegetables, mixing well.
- Cover and chill several hours or overnight. Stir before serving.