Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a wonderful recipe that I've had tucked into my cookbook for years - I wish I knew where it originally came from! The garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas) are an amazing meat stand-in; honestly, you don't even miss the grease once you give these a try! This is also a very cost-effective and easy way to prepare a meal, since garbanzos are cheap and readily available. I realize this is so simple as to border ridiculous, but it's so good, you just might forgive me! :)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 10 tortillas or 10 hard taco shells
- Drain the garbanzo beans, reserving the liquid of one can. Rinse the beans briefly under cool running water in a strainer.
- Pour the beans and the reserved bean liquid into a large skillet.
- Add the taco seasoning.
- Stir and let simmer approximately 10-15 minutes. Mash 1/4 - 1/3 of the beans while cooking to thicken the mixture, if desired (they stay put in tortillas better this way).
- Use the garbanzos just like you would taco meat. Try tortillas and pile it high with lettuce, tomato, salsa, and cheese, or make a figure-friendly taco salad.
I tend to eat a vegan diet, so I am not usually as skeptical as most. But I really questioned this. I was wrong. This was good.
These were very good. The garbanzo beans give an appealing flavor to the tacos that is a little different, but not to the point of being strange. Even my daughter who was skeptical, saying, "But I don't like beans!" cleaned her plate without being pushed. I'll be making them again frequently. Thank you!
I am amazed at how wonderful this filling is! I made it because I needed something quick and had everything on hand, but I never imagined it to be so delicious. The color, texture, and flavor are all right on. Thanks for posting this fabulous recipe!