Posted for safe keeping. Cooking Light published this recipe, crediting Bharti Kirchner. The total cooking time can be consolidated if the rice is started first.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 4 cups tomatoes, chopped and seeded (about 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1GARBANZO STEW: Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, and saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- 2Stir in tomato and next 5 ingredients (tomato through pepper). Cook 8 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- 3Stir in garbanzo beans and garam masala for 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- 4Sprinkle each service with 1 tablespoon cilantro. Serve over peanut rice.
- 5PEANUT RICE: Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- 6Add rice, salt, and turmeric; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- 7Remove from heat; stir in peanuts and peas.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garbanzo Stew With Peanut Rice (Cooking Light)
Serving Size: 1 (676 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 699.2
- Calories from Fat 196
- Total Fat 21.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1486.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 106.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 17.4 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 24.3 g