Recipe by Dancer^
Serve this rainy day dish over brown rice or mashed potatoes, or accompany it with thick slices of whole-wheat bread.
- 1⁄2 cup water onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 ounces tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 dash hot pepper sauce
- 16 ounces garbanzo beans, drained &,rinsed
- 1 cup winter squash, peeled &,diced
- 1 1⁄4 cups spicy tomato juice
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Place water, onion and garlic in a large pot.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened slightly, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (including tomato liquid) and seasonings.
- Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Add garbanzo beans, squash and tomato juice.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes, until squash is tender.
- Stir in spinach and cook until softened, about 2 to 3 minutes.