Recipe by love4culinary
This is a lovely roast! Its a great substitute for meatloaf!!!
Top Review by Kozmic Blues
This was delicious and it looked fabulous! This recipe was truly a big hit with all my skeptical, non-vegetarian guests as well! My only changes were that I used Italian bread crumbs instead of plain (those were on hand) and I added a handful or two more of the corn. The puff pastry brushed with egg turned out nice and golden brown. And the sherry/leek sauce that went with it added such a nice touch to the nuttyness of the filling. Delicious!
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon yeast extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups walnuts, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄4 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 3⁄4 ounces canned corn, drained
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2 tablespoons vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped nicely
- 8 ounces prepared puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 leek, sliced very thin
- 4 tablespoons dry sherry
- 2⁄3 cup vegetable stock
Directions See How It's Made
- First process the beans, yeast extract, walnuts and bread crumbs for 30 seconds.
- Then saute the onion and mushrooms in their own juices for approximately 4 minutes in a nice sized skillet.
- Stir in the bean mixture, corn, and crushed garlic.
- Add the sherry, veg.
- stock, cilantro, and salt and pepper and bind the mixture together.
- Remove your skillet from the heat and set aside to cool COMPLETELY.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to form a 14x12 inch rectangle.
- Shape bean mixture into a loaf shape as you would a meatloaf and wrap the pastry around it, sealing the edges.
- Be sure to put the seam on the bottom of the loaf.
- Place seam side down on a dampened cookie sheet and score the top in a criss-cross pattern.
- (Score in one direction diagonally completely across top and then in the other direction to make it criss-crossed).
- Mix the egg and milk together and brush over the pastry using a pastry brush.
- Bake in your preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Top will be golden brown and beautiful!
- For the sauce, heat the oil in a pan and saute the leek for 5 minutes.
- Add the sherry and stock and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 5 minutes and serve with your garbanzo roast!