Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Terrific vegetarian chicken noodle soup substitute! Growing up I always loved chicken noodle soup and missed it since becoming a vegetarian. I adapted this recipe from a friend that got it from another friend and so on. My kids love it, especially if I top it with their favorite goldfish crackers.
- 6 cups water (depending on how soupy you want it you can add a cup or two more)
- 4 cups garbanzo beans, cooked
- 250 g pasta noodles (use your favorite)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetarian poultry seasoning (add more if you add more water, my favorite is McKays chicken seasoning)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 0.5 (10 7/8 ounce) can reduced-fat cream of celery soup
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- Bring everything except noodles and cream of celery soup to a boil.
- Drop noodles into this boiling mixture.
- Let it simmer 15 to 25 minutes (my stove doesn't simmer the way it should, so I'm not sure the exact "normal" time)until the noodles are cooked through. Stir occansionally during this time.
- Turn off the stove and stir in 1/2 of the 10 3/4oz can of cream of celery soup.
- Salt to taste and enjoy!
The hubbie and I very much enjoyed this recipe. I like that this recipe is sooo versatile, able to go with typical everyday household ingred. almost any veggie can be added to this, even kielabasa if wanting the addition of a meat. We def. will continue to play around with this recipe. Thanks a lot for posting
This was very good! I ended up using 360g of noodles because my family likes heartiness and I needed maybe 2-3 cups more water. I also used the entire soup can. This turned out excellent and was easy to make, thank you for the recipe. Even my meat-loving dad had seconds on this one. Pictures will be coming soon! Made for V*gan/Vegetarian Recipe Swap September 2008.
Quick and easy to make - and delicious. I made this soup using some of my Vegetable Stock 135453 rather than water, I omitted the vegetarian poultry seasoning because I coudn't find any (and I figured using vegetable stock had probably made its use less essential), I added 3 cloves of minced garlic as well as the garlic salt (because I love garlic) and I used black pepper instead of cayenne pepper (personal taste preference). I also used cream of mushroom soup, as that's what I had on hand, having forgotten to hunt out some cream of celery soup. Knowing I probably wouldn't find any use for the remaining soup and that it would most likely end up being wasted, I used it all. Like most soup recipes, this is clearly a recipe you could add other vegetables to. I added a couple of handfuls of baby spinach which were past their prime - just a little limp. We really enjoyed this soup, and although I kind of halved the recipe, we still had some to put in the freezer. I say "kind of", because I reduced the quantity of liquid and most ingredients, but still used 2 celery stalks and some 1/2 dozen baby carrots which I always find more flavoursome than bigger carrots. Thank you for sharing this recipe, Enjolinfam. made for Newest Zaar Tag.