Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a bit of a twist on my Spanish Garbanzo Gumbo recipe. The flavors from the bratwurst and the chipotles in adobo really make this soup unbelievably delicious! I find the Brauts give the soup a much better flavor if grilled. My second choice would to be to bake them whole and then chop them up into cubes.
- 4 links bratwursts (Johnsonville Stadium Brats)
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 teaspoons marinade (Grill Mates Chipotle Pepper Marinade Packet)
- 1⁄4 cup goya mojo marinade
- 1 (6 ounce) can chipotle peppers, in adobo seasoning (La Costena)
- 1⁄4 tablespoon McCormick Hot Shot Black & Red Pepper Blend
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 (12 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 medium red onion
- 8 -10 green onions
- 1 tomatoes (Or 1 Can of Diced Tomatoes)
- 2 bell peppers (Color is nice, but not necessary)
- 1 -2 green wax pepper (or Anneheim)
- 1 -2 fresh jalapeno
- 1 -2 medium potato, diced
- 1 -3 carrot, sliced
- 4 (14 ounce) cans garbanzo beans
- 1 (14 ounce) canred chili beans (Do Not Drain!!)
- 1 (14 ounce) can black beans (Drained and Rinsed)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup frozen peas (optional)
- I find the Brats give the soup a much better flavor if grilled. My second choice would to be to bake them whole and then chop them up into cubes. Get the Brats cooking while you chop the Peppers, Red Onion and tomato into cubes (or desired size) and set aside.
- Coat the bottom of your pan with a thin coat of Vigo Olive Oil and fry the peppers/onions for five to ten minutes, until tender. Place the Ground Pork in the pan and fry until done.
- Now place Brats in the pan and fry for another 5 minutes while stirring.
- Pour the Garbanzo Beans into a colander and rinse, then place into your stew pot. You can also go ahead and put in:.
- the chopped tomato.
- the Chicken Broth.
- Black Beans (Drain and Rinse).
- Red Chili Beans.
- the Adobe sauce from the Chipotle Peppers (and some of the peppers, chopped if you can take the heat).
- Remaining Spices.
- Let this all simmer while you cut up the potato(es), carrot and green onions. Put in the Carrots and Potatoes and then place into the pot. Once the potatoes and carrots are fully cooked you can throw in the green onions and let the soup simmer until you are ready to enjoy.
- *Add 1 lb. Of shrimp to the recipe (or scallops -- or mussels -- get the idea?!).
- *Add fresh (or frozen) Spinach to the soup (or Broccoli -- or whatever your favorite vege!).