Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
For all you chick pea lovers. With an Indian kick.
- 1 (16 ounce) can garbanzo beans
- 1 tablespoon ghee or 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, roughly diced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- coriander leaves
- lemon slice
- Sauté onions, add garlic and ginger in ghee.
- Fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, and cumin, coriander, turmeric and chili powders, and salt to taste.
- Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add garbanzo beans, boil for a few minutes.
- Add garam masala, let mixture simmer.
- Remove from stove.
- Serve garnished with coriander leaves and lemon slices.
So good! The blend of spices is fantastic! We loved the addition of the lemon at the end, added a nice extra pop of flavor. Thanks for sharing! ZWT8
This was excellent. I used it as a main dish over basmati rice and served it with tortilla and a veggi. It was a great meal. I added a can of tomatoes rather than the tasteless variety here at this time of year. Would make a good side dish for a meat dinner as well I think. Thanks Rita
Excellent mixture for curry, though I added about 1/2 teaspoon more of all the spices, especially ginger. The times and order of spice addition are all spot on, though, and the tomato sauce is how I like my Chole! One note: this could use with a sweet-sour kick -- perhaps add a tbs or two of lime juice?