Recipe by Collegechyc
Summertime is too hot to cook but I still want protein in my salads. I found this recipe in a diet book and added a few things to make it pop.
- 7 ounces firm tofu, rinsed, dried, cubed
- 1 (2/3 ounce) package Italian salad dressing mix
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 3⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 medium zucchini, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow squash, diced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces parmesan cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse tofu, wrap in paper towels or dish cloth to remove excess water.
- Dice tofu and put it in a zip lock bag, or container, with Italian dressing seasoning, red wine vinegar, water and oil. Set aside.
- Make vinaigrette: whisk lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper together until combined and set aside.
- Tame red onion ***.
- In a large salad bowl, put garbanzo beans, zucchini, squash and red onion.
- Pour vinaigrette over the salad and toss well.
- Add tofu and toss again.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese.
- Best served chilled after an hour but just as tasty if you eat it immediately.
- *** Tame the red onion: soak sliced onion in 2 cups water with 4 tablespoons of white wine or apple cider vinegar. Remove after 15 to 30 minutes. ***.