Prep 20 mins
Cook 4 mins
This recipe comes courtesy of my MIL, Linda. I have not made this recipe yet, but think I will make it over the Thanksgiving holiday. My DH requested that I get this recipe from her and swears it is outstanding! 11-25-07 UPDATE: Made this the night before Thanksgiving for a quick and easy meal and it was great! Had a couple of issues with the chorizo sausage I bought because it turned out to not be in a casing, but other then that it was great. Would definitely make this again.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried garbanzo beans or 2 (16 ounce) cans garbanzo beans
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 chorizo sausage (spanish sausage)
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 lb potato, cubed
- 1 ham hock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots, chopped
- Soak beans overnight with 1 tsp salt and sufficient water to cover.
- Before cooking, drain salted water and recover with fresh water.
- To cook beans, bring to a rapid boil. During cooking, never let the water stop boiling. (This is the secret which softens the beans.).
- Cook beans and ham hock at least 4 hours. You have to stir often to prevent sticking on bottom.
- About 1 hour before serving, add the onions, potatoes, carrots and slice chirizo to pot. When adding other ingredients, turn heat up to prevent boiling from stopping. This ensures tender beans.
Just made this again and its sooooo deeelicious! I did add 1tsp of Pimenton which is Spanish Paprika. Loooove this dish. So easy and healthy.