Recipe by FCR Gal
This recipe comes courtesy of my MIL, Linda. I have not made this recipe yet, but think I will make it over the Thanksgiving holiday. My DH requested that I get this recipe from her and swears it is outstanding! 11-25-07 UPDATE: Made this the night before Thanksgiving for a quick and easy meal and it was great! Had a couple of issues with the chorizo sausage I bought because it turned out to not be in a casing, but other then that it was great. Would definitely make this again.
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried garbanzo beans or 2 (16 ounce) cans garbanzo beans
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 chorizo sausage (spanish sausage)
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 lb potato, cubed
- 1 ham hock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak beans overnight with 1 tsp salt and sufficient water to cover.
- Before cooking, drain salted water and recover with fresh water.
- To cook beans, bring to a rapid boil. During cooking, never let the water stop boiling. (This is the secret which softens the beans.).
- Cook beans and ham hock at least 4 hours. You have to stir often to prevent sticking on bottom.
- About 1 hour before serving, add the onions, potatoes, carrots and slice chirizo to pot. When adding other ingredients, turn heat up to prevent boiling from stopping. This ensures tender beans.