Prep 0 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I tasted this delicious salad last year at a summer potluck and convinced the chef to part with the recipe. Sometimes I'll boil one cup gemelli pasta (corkscrew) and toss it in with the other ingredients to "stretch" the salad for potlucks, picnics, etc. Marinating is necessary to allow the flavors to mingle.
- 2 medium red sweet bell peppers, roasted and skinned or 1 (7 ounce) jar roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 4 cups cooked garbanzo beans (about 1 1/2 cups dry or equivalent canned beans, rinsed well and drained) or 2 cups cooked garbanzo beans and 2 cups kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup sliced green onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1 -2 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped of fresh mint, NOT dried
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (NO substitution)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice (or 3 tablespoons combination of lemon juice and vinegar) or 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar (or 3 tablespoons combination of lemon juice and vinegar)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- lettuce leaves (optional) or baby spinach leaves (optional)
- In a large non-reactive bowl combine vegetables, beans and capers.
- In screw-top glass jar or glass measuring cup combine the remaining ingredients and shake or blend well.
- Pour over bean mixture. Toss well to coat.
- Cover and chill at least 4 hours.
- Serve on a bed of lettuce leaves or spinach leaves, if desired.
I loved this salad--the mint is an inspired touch. The first time I made it, I forgot to put the celery in. This time I did add it and and it gives a tasty crunch to the salad. Thanks, CG!