Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
My girlfriend always made this when she was in a hurry and had lots of people over. I make it but I freeze a lot as there is only 2 of us.
- 4 lbs hamburger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4-1 cup rice, uncooked
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups onions (sliced)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 3⁄4 brown sugar
- Mix first 5 ingredients and make patties.
- Your choice how big you want them.
- Brown them well.
- After they are cooked put them in a roasting pan.
- In separate fry pan, brown the onion slices.
- Put them on top of the patties.
- In bowl mix the last 6 ingredients and pour on top of the patties and onion slices.
- Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.
- Bake 325° for 1 1/2 hours.
I have always heard that one man's trash is another man's treasure. Well in this case one chef's garbage is another chef's treasure. This is a great recipe. I did scale it for a smaller amount with no problems. I used 2 pounds ground meat, cut the rice eggs, onions, vinegar, water and brown sugar in half, and used 1 15 ounce can of tomatoes, and 1 8 ounce tomato sauce. I also wasn't sure about whether is should bake covered or not, but because of the rice, I decided to cover and it turned out beautiful.
this was a great fix, i cut it in half and added 3 cloves of minced garlic and everyone loved it. thanks for the great recipe idea
My bf and I love this recipe. He requests it regularly. It's easy, and it is just as good as leftovers. Thanks for a great recipe!