1 hr 10 mins
Another wonderful recipe from Vikram Vij, owner of the hottest Indian restaurant in Vancouver! Asafetida & mango powders are known as hing & amchur in Indian grocery stores - if you can't get them, omit them, as well as the fenugreek & add 1 tbsp lime juice after the mushrooms are cooked. You can purchase garam masala or use one of the recipes for garam masala on Zaar.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 g dried porcini mushrooms
- 2 cups water, divided in half
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1PORCINI CREAM: Soak dried porcinis in 1 cup of hot water for 30 minutes.
- 2Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat& fry onions, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes; stir in flour& cook, stirring constantly, until light brown, about a minute.
- 3Add porcinis with their soaking liquid, along with remaining ingredients& bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low& simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened& reduced to 2 cups, about 20 minutes.
- 4MUSHROOMS: Remove stems from portobellos& slice each cap into 6 pieces.
- 5Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; sprinkle in asafetida powder& let sizzle for 30 seconds.
- 6Immediately, stir in remaining spices& fry until lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- 7Add mushroom caps& fry, stirring often, until browned& bendable if lifted, about 7 minutes; pour in porcini cream& serve.
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Garam Masala Sauteed Portobello Mushroom Curry in Porcini Cream
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 321.7
- Calories from Fat 259
- Total Fat 28.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.1 g
- Cholesterol 40.7 mg
- Sodium 749.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 4.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried fenugreek leaves