Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 mins
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH the aroma of these warming spices. This is being posted for those in the world that can't buy it you can make it!This way no one is missing out! Nice to pack in pretty jars for gifts. Mixed this together for CunSwim a chef here at zaar.
- 1⁄2 cup cumin seed
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 4 sticks cinnamon
- 10 -12 green cardamom pods (bruised)
- 4 -5 black cardamom pods (bruised)
- 8 cloves
- 1⁄2 nutmeg, grated (with the mace is a plus)
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
- 4 whole star anise
- 5 bay leaves
- Roast all the ingredients lightly in a heavy bottom pan (cast iron).
- When the spices give off the fragrance allow to cool slightly. Grind to a powder in a coffee grinder (used for only spices not coffee).
- Store this powder in a dry airtight container for up to a year.
I have made this but not used it yet. I can tell its a great garam masala..the smell is wonderful. I had to use just green cardamoms since I cannot get hold of the black ones.
The roasting smell of these spices is intoxicating. I did not use black cardamom as I didnt have any. I also did not use nutmeg because of its intoxicant properties, instead I added a bit of allspice. I used this in Yakni Pilau (Chicken Rice) and it was good. I will find some other recipes to use this again.
This is so beautiful when cooking...it smelled great and looked so pretty (before grinding)...can't wait to use it!!!