Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Found this online while looking for a new way to cook chicken. The first time I made it was for my Mother-in-law, who immediately requested I share the recipe. Pretty good, considering I'd never cooked for her before :)
- 6 skinless chicken thighs or 6 skinless chicken drumsticks
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Score chicken a bit to help spices sink inches.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil.
- Add onions and saute until light brown.
- Add chicken and continue to saute, turning once, until half cooked (about 10 mins).
- While chicken is cooking, combine sour cream, yogurt, lemon juice, garam masala, tumeric and salt in a bowl.
- Mix till smooth.
- Once chicken is nearly cooked (as described above), Remove chicken from pan and place in sauce mixture, turning to coat.
- Transfer coated chicken to baking dish.
- Bake 20 mins or until cooked through.
- NOTE: if garam masala isn't in your taste, you can use ground white pepper instead.
- NOTE: this dish doens't freeze well because of the yogurt, but will last well a few days in the fridge.
I have had this in my cookbook for a while and been looking forward to making it. But the first problem I had was after baking for 20 minutes, it was still not cooked, so I left in oven for about 40 instead. After cooking, it smelled wonderful but the taste was just OK. I REALLY wanted to love this. Im sorry to give it just 3 stars:(
What a easy recipe. The taste is mild and I think I would like a tad more zip but DW like it as is.I was not sure what to do with the onions when serving . I topped the chicken with it and I am glad I did. I would consider adding it to the directions . Thanks for a excellent recipe. Made for PAC fall 2012