Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 min
This recipe has been in the family for generations. The aroma from it is enough to make any dish an exotic creation!
- 6 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 3 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon clove
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 8 dried bay leaves
- 1⁄2 nutmeg
- 10 green cardamoms
- 6 large black cardamom pods (optional)
- Roast all the ingredients very lightly on a griddle (without any oil/ghee).
- Grind to a powder in a grinder.
- If coarse, strain through a sieve and discard any stubborn husk.
- Store in an airtight container and use as and when required.
Wonderful, easy recipe. The flavour of this spice blend is excellent! Thank you, Honeybee.
I had a recipe that was using Garam Marsala and the stuff I had on hand had little or no smell, so I though to look and see if I could find a recipe on Zaar. Suprised me!! As it is not a spice I use often, I didn't want to make up a gazillion amount, so this recipe did appeal to me. I cut the recipe in half and it worked out wonderful for me. I didn't have the nutmeg, so I added a pinch or two of the powder. Thanks Honeybeee for the contribution!!!