Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Garam Masala is the quintessential masala or spice mix and is an integral part of most Indian dishes. Garam Masala literally means “Hot” (garam) “Spice” (masala) and is not a spice but a blend of many spices. It should be used in small quantities only!
- 30 green cardamom pods
- 15 cloves (laung)
- 5 black cardamom pods (badi elaichi)
- 4 pieces mace
- 4 pieces cinnamon (2.5 squared cm, dalchini)
- 5 tablespoons cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed (saunf)
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds (dhaniya)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fenugreek seeds (methi)
- Dry roast all spices in a heavy bottomed and completely dry pan or skillet over very low heat.
- Stir the spices constantly.
- Remove pan from fire as soon as you can smell the aroma of spices.
- Dry grind small quantity of the spices into fine powder in an electric blender at a time.
- Remove the cardamom pod skins from the powder.
- Allow powder to cool.
- Store in an air0tight container in a dark and cool place.
- Use sparingly and remember to close the container lid tightly after every use.