Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Garam Masala is a blend of Indian Curry spices, this is a blend that I put together 2 & 1/2 years ago for my cooking class. You will need to use a food processor for this recipe, or spend a decent about of time at a mortar and pestle. I love the smell of this blend, so warm and earthy!! Hope you enjoy making it!
- 2 teaspoons cardamom seeds
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon peppercorn
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a food processor, preferably the nut and coffee grinder kind, grind cardamom seeds for about 15 - 20 seconds, it should be in a powder form by then.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, EXCEPT cinnamon, to the processor, and processor for a further 15 - 20 seconds.
- Put all the processed ingredients in to a small frying pan, with NO OIL, and fry over a very low heat for 5 or 6 minutes, it should smell warm, but not burnt.
- Take off the stove, and add the cinnamon.
- Leave in a dry place for the spices to cool off for a few minutes.
- Put in an air tight container and use as needed!
I made this for Chicken Tikka Masala and it worked out perfect. I looked in the store for some and couldn't find it, so decieded to look on this site. So glad I did, now I have some extra and didnt have to buy anything. All ingredients I have on hand. Thank you so much for this recipe, we loved it.
Worked out well.