Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
A recipe for garam masala posted for the Zaar World Tour 2.
- 19.71 ml cumin seeds
- 19.71 ml coriander seeds
- 4.92 ml ground cardamom
- 1.23 ml whole cloves
- 2.46 ml black peppercorns
- 2 cinnamon sticks (2-inch sticks)
- 1.23 ml ground cayenne pepper
- Dry-roast the cumin, coriander, cardamom, and cloves in a skillet until lightly browned, 1 or 2 minutes. When cool, combine with the black pepper and cinnamon in a spice grinder and grind to a powder. Mix with the cayenne pepper and pour into an airtight container. Store in a cool, dry place for up to several months if not using immediately.
- Note: To make a paste, stir a bit of tepid water into the spice mixture.
Great blend, though my family prefers about half the cinnamon.
Worked like a charm! As it is a spice I have never worked with before, I didn't want too much leftovers, so I halved the recipe. Instead of the cinnamon sticks, I used 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon. The kitchen smelt wonderful. Use this in Mini R's Curried Papaya Chutney. Thanks for the contribution
Worked well, and so nice to have a fresh spice blend! I didn't have a dry skillet, so I roasted the spices in my toaster oven. It did take a bit more than 5 minutes because of waiting for the spices to cool.