Prep 0 mins
Cook 8 mins
Japanese Deepr fried tofu burgers. You are going to squeeze the tofu here. Instructions included. From the Book of Tofu by Shurleff and Aoyagi.
- 30 ounces waterpacked tofu
- 2 tablespoons grated carrots
- 2 tablespoons onions or 2 tablespoons scallions or 2 tablespoons leeks or 2 tablespoons gingerroot, diced
- 2 tablespoons diced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons green peas, see note
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds or 2 tablespoons peanuts or 2 tablespoons chopped nuts
- 2 tablespoons roasted sesame seeds or 2 tablespoons poppy seeds, see note
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Use the peas with Ganmo balls. Sesame and poppy seed may be ground or whole.
- You squeeze this tofu as well as pressing. First press the tofu. Then place at center of large dry dishtowel and gather to form sack. Twist closed and squeeze tofu firmly. Knead it 2 to 3 minutes to expel as much water as possible. Squeeze lightly enough so that no tofu penetrates the sacke. Empty into bowl. This results in a mashed tofu that is slighly cohesive and resembles cottage cheese.
- Combine first 8 ingredients in shallow bowl. Mix well. Knead for 3 minutes. Add salt and knead for 3 more minutes. Dough should be smooth and hold together.
- Fill wok with 2 to 2 1/2 inches oil and heat to 300F Moisten palms owth oil and shape dough into 8 patties about 3 X 3 1/2 or 12 balls 1 1/2 inch.
- Deep fry for 4 to 6 minutes or until they float high in oil. Turn over and deep fry patties a bit more until they are crisp and golden brown. Drain on rack or paper towels. Sprinkle with shoyu if desired.
- Refrigerate in airtight container. Will keep 1 week. Frozen keeps indefinitely.